Tuesday, August 10, 2010

How to Grainsacks

A while back I posted this picture of some fabrics I was considering for living room pillows. Instead I decided to stick with what I've got, and even added some matching "home made" pillows the other day.
But I did use the white grain sack fabric in my kitchen (see the picture at the bottom of this post). So I thought I would show a quick how to. I was actually planning on posting this and linking it up to a party or two right when I did it. Then I saw someone had done that exact thing before I had a chance. Oh well. I am doing it anyway!

I am trying hard not to spend too much money lately so I used all things I had on hand for this project. Painters tape, craft paint, and a white tea towel I bought long ago at IKEA for next to nothing. Since it's craft paint I am not so sure it is washable. In fact pretty sure it's not. But it was free, so there.

There is not much to it after you have the supplies, I just taped it out and painted in between the tape with a foam brush I had in my craft box. I did try to use the least amount of paint possible so it wouldn't be stiff and wouldn't bleed through the tape.
I spaced the stripes differently on the 2 that I made. I think I prefer the mix of thin and thick stripes on the one below better than I like these even stripes. Also If I were to do it again I think I would center them on the fabric, these are off to one side.
See here is one in the kitchen hiding our recycling bin in an awkward open cupboard that came with the house. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment